It would be difficult not to be aware of the pressures currently faced by the NHS – as many of us who have struggled get an appointment to see our GP know only too well. You don’t need a doctor to refer you to all health and wellbeing services however. In Uttlesford we have a single website where you can search and identify local services for yourself and then make a self-referral – this means you get the support you need more quickly, without waiting to see your doctor – and medical staff have more time to spend with patients who have urgent needs.
Local services that accept self-referrals include:
- Essex child and family wellbeing services; including health visiting, parenting support, school nursing and support for children aged 5 – 19 (or 25 for children with special educational needs and disabilities) which includes help with dental care, immunisations, physical, emotional or developmental problems
- Mental health services; adult mental health wellbeing services and talking therapies for depression and anxiety
- Counselling services, including for children
- Mentoring services for children and young people and support for children who have been bullied
- Free weight management services, help to stop smoking or to make other lifestyle changes
- Support services for parents of young children and children with learning or developmental disabilities, such as autism
- NHS heart health checks
- Cancer information and support services
- Drugs and alcohol support, recovery programmes and family support
- Support for anyone dealing with domestic violence
- Support for long term health conditions such as COPD, Parkinson’s, MS or dementia
- Support services for carers, including young carers
Simply go to www.uttlesfordfrontline.org.uk and look for services by entering key words into the search area. For example typing in ‘children’ will bring up all the local services that can help with many of the challenges being a parent can, and does, provide! If you use a mobile device, you may prefer to download the ‘Frontline Public’ app from the App Store or google play.
If you don’t have access to the internet at home, you can get online for free at your local library, (ask staff to help you), or alternatively call Healthwatch on 0300 500 1895 for details of services in your local area. Uttlesford Citizens Advice can also make referrals on your behalf; call for an appointment on 01799 618840.
Barnards Yard, CB11 4EB
T: 01799 618840
E: Please use the link from our website to contact us by email
Saffron Walden 9.30 to 3.30 M.T.Th.F. (appointments available Weds)
Great Dunmow 9.30 to 3.30 T. Th.
Thaxted 2pm and 3pm Tuesday (Fortnightly, appointment only)
Stansted Mountfitchet 9.30 to 12.30 Thursday – appointments only
Uttlesford District Council Offices Tuesdays (fortnightly, drop in)